Opelousas General Health System is dedicated to the provision of quality care. Our state-of-the-art surgical technology as well as our highly trained and experienced surgical team including board certified general, vascular and specialty surgeons makes Opelousas General Health System an easy choice. Rest assured that you are in good hands. The comfort and safety or our patients is our top priority.
At Opelousas General Health System (OGHS), we understand that surgery can be a stressful and overwhelming experience. Our goal is to alleviate any anxiety, answer any questions you may have about your procedure and provide you with the very best care possible. Whether your surgery requires an overnight stay, or a less invasive same-day procedure, our warm, compassionate staff will exceed your expectations.
This starts before your procedure. Before your surgery, we will conduct a pre-admission assessment. This can be done over the phone or in person at the hospital, just to ensure your questions are answered and to reduce wait time on the day of your surgery. On the day of your procedure, our friendly staff will help you and any family or friends who come with you to be comfortable While your are having your procedure, your family and friends can wait in our waiting room conveniently located next to our surgical rooms.
Preparing for Same Day Surgery
The physicians and staff at Opelousas General Health System want to serve you efficiently and make your experience as pleasant as possible. Please read the instructions very carefully and make sure that you understand all of the information. Should you have any questions concerning your procedure, please don't hesitate to ask your doctor or the Same Day Surgery staff.
Parking facilities are located next to the hospital in our new parking garage.
- If you have any questions about the admitting process, please call the Admissions Office at 948-3011, ext. 5181.
- On the day you are scheduled for surgery, please go to the Admissions Office located next to the Emergency Center, unless you are instructed otherwise. The Admissions Office opens at 5:30 a.m. Please bring all information that the Admit Clerk has requested.
- Your doctor will have discussed the procedure with you and the type of anesthesia that is planned. The following information is made available in order to assure that your experience will be comfortable and convenient.
- Should you develop a fever, cold, rash or wound on or near the surgical site prior to admission, call your physician's office and notify them as soon as possible.
- Procedures performed in the Same Day Surgery Unit vary considerably. Some are complex and others are quite simple.
- Precautions and limitations will vary according to the type of procedure you have and the type of anesthesia used.
- Remember to follow your doctor’s instructions at all times. If you have any questions concerning instructions, contact your doctor or call the Same Day Surgery Unit at 948-3011, ext. 5200.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight (which includes mints and chewing gum) except for previously discussed medications.
- Patients undergoing anesthesia will occasionally require an overnight stay. Please make arrangements in the event this becomes necessary and pack accordingly (robe, slippers, etc.) If you use a C-PAP machine, bring it with you.
NOTE: You must have someone with you on the day of surgery to drive you home.
- No food or milk after midnight.
- Clear liquids (apple juice, Gatorade, Pedialyte, water) may be given between the hours of midnight and 3 a.m. on the day of surgery.
- Please bring extra diapers and formula if indicated.
- Feel free to bring a favorite toy or blanket to make your child feel more comfortable.
Day of the Surgery
- Bring all of your medications with you!
- Please do not wear makeup, nail polish, hairpins or jewelry. This includes body jewelry
- All valuables should be left at home.
- You may bathe and use deodorant, but please do not apply any powders or lotions to the body. These items may interfere with the use of our monitors and tapes.
During Your Stay
- Your blood pressure, pulse and temperature will be checked.
- You may have additional lab tests and/or X-rays to assist in determining your treatment plan.
- Use your call bell to summon a nurse if you need assistance.
- Side rails on the bed should be kept in the upright position.
- The staff will review your activity level with you.
- A shave or scrub may be done prior to surgery.
- While in bed, your position should be changed every two hours unless instructed otherwise.
- You will need to take deep breaths and cough every two hours to reduce the risk of pneumonia.
- If you have an IV, it will be monitored by the nurses and removed as indicated.
- You will need to do leg exercises to reduce the risk of blood clots.
If You Have General Anesthesia:
- Do not drive or operate a motor vehicle, sign any legal document, or make any important decision for 24 hours. You may feel wobbly or light-headed.
- Eat light foods for 24 hours. When you are able to tolerate food without feeling sick to your stomach, gradually return to your regular diet.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours.
- We strongly suggest that a responsible adult be with the patient for the rest of the day and also during the night for the patient's protection and safety.
- Children should rest at home, but may be up and about according to doctor's orders/instructions.
539 E. Prudhomme St.
Opelousas, Louisiana 70570